Southwest Florida Women’s Foundation and Partners to Share Impact
During Women’s History Month in March
Naples Florida – To Kick-off Women’s History Month 2018, today the Southwest Florida Women’s Foundation joins members of Prosperity Together, a nonpartisan partnership of 32 public U.S. women’s foundations located in 26 states and Washington, D.C., to announce Year 2 (2017) results of its collective five-year, $100 million funding commitment to ensure economic security for low-income women and their families across the country. During Women’s History Month in March, the partnership will leverage social media channels (Twitter, Facebook) each week to share successes and engage the public at #ProsperityTogether.
In Year One (2016), Prosperity Together partners invested a collective $29,170,427. In Year Two (2017), partners invested $29,251,072 for a total of $58,421,499 — 58% of its five-year, $100 million commitment in just two years. The Southwest Florida Women’s Foundation invested over $200,000 towards it’s local $500,000 goal. Collectively last year, partners supported 1,022 nonprofit organizations and impacted over 137,153 women and girls across 26 states and Washington, D.C. Access the Year Two Impact Report, here.
To achieve economic security for all women, Prosperity Together partners employ a broad, inclusive approach to grantmaking. In 2017, 90% of partners supported workforce development; 81% leadership development and community mobilization; 74% financial literacy and asset building; 74% research; and 74% education.
In 2017, Prosperity Together partners targeted their grantmaking to support programs in many areas:
- Job Training: Programs that are customized to address the cultural and educational needs of low-income women to secure a higher-wage job in a stable work environment.
- Two-Generation Programs: Programs that assist parents seeking education, job training, or employment while concurrently placing their children in high-quality education.
- Asset Building & Financial Literacy: Programs that help women develop and keep wealth.
- Childcare Access & Quality: Programs that create access for low-income women to culturally appropriate, affordable, high-quality childcare so they can be successful in the workplace and their children can have a strong academic start in life.
- Research: State and national research to inform best practices and policies that increase economic security for low-income women, build awareness of community-specific issues, and mobilize support for policy change.
- Policy Change: Support policy change efforts that most affect low-income women, including pay equity, paid family and medical leave, minimum wage increase, improved access to childcare, reducing predatory lending, improving access to childcare subsidies for community college students, and fair scheduling and work-week bills.
Over the next three years, Prosperity Together will continue to harness the collective power, leadership, and proven effectiveness of women’s foundations working together to ensure women’s economic security in America. State by state, the partnership calls upon policymakers, business leaders, philanthropic community, and the public to understand that economic prosperity for all is guaranteed only when economic security and equal opportunity are guaranteed for low-income women.
Prosperity Together members include the Southwest Florida Women’s Foundation and 31 other public U.S. women’s foundations located in 26 states and Washington, D.C. Click here for more information on Prosperity Together, full members’ list, national impact, and access to annual reports.
Prosperity Together is a nonpartisan partnership of public U.S. women’s foundations dedicated to improving the economic security of low-income women and their families in America. In November 2015, Prosperity Together announced a five-year, $100 million funding commitment to invest in programs and strategies to create pathways to economic security for low-income women in America. Prosperity Together demonstrates the critical role and power of women’s foundations to drive this work in communities, state by state, across the country. Click here to learn more. Find us on social at #ProsperityTogether.